Education Bill — Abolish selection by aptitude in state schools — rejected — 6 Feb 2002 at 22:45
Professor Steve Webb MP, Northavon voted in the minority (Aye).
The majority No voters rejected a new clause for the Education Bill.The clause would have removed the ability of state schools to select pupils by aptitude (except if the selection arrangements predated the 1997-8 school year and had been in force continuously since). However, the amendment was defeated.
The main aims of the Education Bill were to:
- Allow schools to exempt themselves from laws which prevented them from innovating. However, this is dependent on the Secretary of State's approval.
- Give good schools the option of qualifying for greater flexibility in the National Curriculum and teachers' pay.
- Allow schools to join together in a federation under a single governing body.
- Further regulate school admissions, exclusions and attendance policies.
- Give the Secretary of State further powers to intervene in failing schools.
- Introduce a new regulatory regime for independent schools.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Lab||278 (+2 tell)||18||1||73.1%|
|LDem||0||40 (+2 tell)||0||79.2%|
|Mr Andrew Bennett||Denton and Reddish||Lab||aye|
|Mr Ronnie Campbell||Blyth Valley||Lab||aye|
|Mr David Chaytor||Bury North||Lab||aye|
|Mr Michael Clapham||Barnsley West and Penistone||Lab||aye|
|Ms Ann Clwyd||Cynon Valley||Lab||aye|
|Mr Jeremy Corbyn||Islington North||Lab||aye|
|Mrs Janet Dean||Burton||Lab||aye|
|Mr David Hinchliffe||Wakefield||Lab||aye|
|Mr Eric Illsley||Barnsley Central||Lab||aye|
|Dr Lynne Jones||Birmingham, Selly Oak||Lab||aye|
|Mr Terry Lewis||Worsley||Lab||aye|
|Mrs Alice Mahon||Halifax||Lab||aye|
|Mr John McDonnell||Hayes and Harlington||Lab||aye|
|Mr Brian Sedgemore||Hackney South and Shoreditch||Lab||aye|
|Mr Alan Simpson||Nottingham South||Lab||aye|
|Mr Dennis Skinner||Bolsover||Lab||aye|
|Mr David Taylor||North West Leicestershire||Lab||aye|
|Mr Robert Wareing||Liverpool, West Derby||Lab||aye|
|Mr Kelvin Hopkins||Luton North||Lab||both|