Nuclear Power — Planning decisions should be taken in Scotland and Wales — rejected — 5 Mar 2002 at 21:45
Oliver Letwin MP, West Dorset did not vote.
The majority voted against the motion:
- This House
- notes that planning consents for nuclear and other power stations over 50 MW require consent under section 36 of the Electricity Act 1989, and that in Scotland section 36 powers are the responsibility of Scottish ministers accountable to the Scottish Parliament;
- further notes the confusion in Government policy on this matter in light of the reported remarks by the Hon Member for Carrick, Cumnock & Doon Valley on Wednesday 27th February, suggesting that Westminster would have the final say over approving nuclear power stations in Scotland;
- reaffirms that in all circumstances Scottish ministers accountable to the Scottish Parliament should have full planning powers over the siting of nuclear and other new power stations above 50 MW in Scotland;
- believes that planning decisions on nuclear power in Wales should be taken in accordance with the views of the National Assembly for Wales; and
- calls for the development of energy strategies in Scotland and Wales which make full use of indigenous energy resources, including gas, clean coal technology, and the enormous potential for renewable supply.
An alternative motion was put in its place and passed following a vote.
-  Alex Salmond MP, House of Commons, 5 March 2002
-  Electricity Act 1989, Section 36
-  Minister in nuclear pledge, George Foulkes MP, 27 February 2002
-  Nuclear Power - Confidence in planning process in Scotland and Wales, House of Commons, 5 March 2002
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Lab||298 (+2 tell)||0||0||73.2%|
|PC||0||3 (+1 tell)||0||100.0%|
|SNP||0||4 (+1 tell)||0||100.0%|