Anti-terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001 — Privy Counsel Report — 25 Feb 2004 at 18:43
Elfyn Llwyd MP, Meirionnydd Nant Conwy voted in the minority (Aye).
The majority of MPs voted against recommendations by Privy Counsellor Review Committee to urgently replace the Part 4 of the Act powers which allow for foreign nationals to be detained indefinitely.
They did this by voting against changing the motion for debate from:
- This House
- takes note of the Privy Counsellor Review Committee Report on the Anti-Terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001 Review (HC 100), which was laid before this House on 18th December 2003.
- This House
- welcomes the Privy Counsellor Review Committee Report on the Anti-terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001; and
- calls upon the Government to act on the Committee's recommendation to repeal Part 4 of the Act and replace it with alternative provisions for monitoring and prosecuting suspected terrorists which do not require the suspension of basic human rights.
This review by seven members of the Privy Counsel was stipulated in the original Act.
-  Anti-terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001 Review: Report, Privy Counsellor Review Committee, 18 December 2003
-  Mark Oaten MP, House of Commons, 25 February 2004
-  Review of the Act, Section 122 of the Anti-terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Lab||307 (+2 tell)||7||0||77.5%|
|LDem||0||49 (+2 tell)||0||94.4%|
|Mr John Wilkinson||Ruislip - Northwood||Con||no|
|Jeremy Corbyn||Islington North||Lab||aye|
|Bill Etherington||Sunderland North||Lab||aye|
|John Martin McDonnell||Hayes and Harlington||Lab||aye|
|Mr Kevin McNamara||Kingston upon Hull North||Lab||aye|
|Mr Brian Sedgemore||Hackney South and Shoreditch||Lab||aye|