Higher Education Bill — Third Reading — 31 Mar 2004 at 19:20
Mr Alan Johnson MP, Kingston upon Hull West and Hessle voted with the majority (Aye).
The majority of MPs voted to allow the Higher Education Bill 2004 to move to its third reading, and continue its path to becoming law.
The main provisions of the bill were:
- To allow University tuition fees to increase from the fixed £1125 per year to up to £3000 per year.
- To create the Office for Fair Access to regulation higher education institution's charging of fees.
- To create the Office of the Adjudicator in Higher Education - a complaints body - higher education institutions became legally bound to deal with.
- To create the Arts and Humanities Research Council.
-  Wikipedia article on the Higher Education Act 2004
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Aye)||Minority (No)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||0||153 (+2 tell)||0||95.1%|
|Lab||309 (+2 tell)||18||0||80.6%|
|Ms Helen Clark||Peterborough||Lab||no|
|Mr Tony Colman||Putney||Lab||no|
|Mr Jeremy Corbyn||Islington North||Lab||no|
|Mr Jim Cousins||Newcastle upon Tyne Central||Lab||no|
|Mr Ian Davidson||Glasgow Pollok||Lab||no|
|Mr Denzil Davies||Llanelli||Lab||no|
|Mr David Drew||Stroud||Lab||no|
|Mr John Grogan||Selby||Lab||no|
|Mr Stephen Hesford||Wirral West||Lab||no|
|Ms Glenda Jackson||Hampstead and Highgate||Lab||no|
|Mr John Lyons||Strathkelvin and Bearsden||Lab||no|
|Mrs Alice Mahon||Halifax||Lab||no|
|Mr John McDonnell||Hayes and Harlington||Lab||no|
|Mr Gordon Prentice||Pendle||Lab||no|
|Mr Llew Smith||Blaenau Gwent||Lab||no|
|Mr Gerry Steinberg||City of Durham||Lab||no|
|Mr Robert Wareing||Liverpool, West Derby||Lab||no|
|Mr Alan Williams||Swansea West||Lab||no|