Loyal Address — Conservative amendment — rejected — 24 May 2005 at 21:45
Dominic Grieve MP, Beaconsfield voted in the minority (Aye).
This first division of the Parliament was on a Conservative amendment to the motion thanking the Queen for delivering the Queen's Speech. The amendment was defeated but would have added the following:
- regret the absence of measures in the Gracious Speech to reduce the burden of political targets and bureaucracy in the public services and of measures which would deliver high standards throughout the public services by promoting autonomy for professionals, creating genuine choice and removing over burdensome regulation so that new and existing providers can expand capacity and develop innovative approaches to service delivery
- deplore the absence of measures adequately to support the NHS in delivering cleaner hospitals rather than just imposing sanctions on them, or to introduce a reformed legislative and organisational framework for public health
- regret the absence of measures which would take account of the proposals by the Joint Committee on the Draft Mental Health Bill in the last Parliament for substantial amendments to proposed mental health legislation
- deplore the absence of measures which would recognise the need to achieve the basic requirements in education of discipline, rigorous examinations, choice for parents and the freedom for staff to do what they do best
- regret the absence of measures which would deliver the real improvements needed in the public services.
Those voting Aye were voting to support these criticisms of the Queen's Speech. Those voting No were supporting the government and disagreeing with the criticisms.
-  Andrew Lansley MP, House of Commons, 24 May 2005
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||0||180 (+2 tell)||0||93.3%|
|Lab||325 (+2 tell)||0||0||92.4%|