Electoral Administration Bill — 7 Jun 2006 at 16:43
Read a third time.
moved Amendment No. 1:
After Clause 9, insert the following new clause-
"REGISTRATION OF SERVICE VOTERS: DUTY TO TAKE NECESSARY STEPS
In the 1983 Act omit subsections (3) and (4) of section 59 (supplemental provision as to members of forces and service voters) and insert after that section-
"59A REGISTRATION OF SERVICE VOTERS: DUTY TO TAKE NECESSARY STEPS
(1) Arrangements must be made by the appropriate government department for ensuring that every person having a service qualification by virtue of paragraph (a) or (b) of section 14(1) above-
(a) is registered to vote unless they make a request under subsection (2), and
(b) has (so far as circumstances permit) an effective opportunity of exercising from time to time as occasion may require the rights conferred on him by this Act in relation to-
(i) the making and cancellation of appointments of a proxy;
(ii) voting in person, by post or by proxy.
(2) A person having a service qualification by virtue of paragraph (a) or (b) of section 14(1) above is entitled to decline to be registered by the appropriate government department if he has registered, or declined to be registered, with his local authority.
(3) Arrangements must be made by the appropriate government department for securing that such person receives such instructions as to the effect of this Act and any regulations made under it, and such other assistance, as may be reasonably sufficient in connection with the exercise by that person and any spouse or civil partner of that person of any rights conferred on them as mentioned in subsection (1)(b).
(4) In subsections (1) to (3) "the appropriate government department" means, in relation to members of the forces, the Ministry of Defence, and in relation to any other person means the government department under which he is employed in the employment giving the service qualification.
(5) The Ministry of Defence must maintain, in relation to each member of the forces who provides information relating to his registration as an elector, a record of such information.
(6) The Ministry of Defence must make arrangements to enable each member of the forces to update annually the information recorded under subsection (5).
(7) In relation to persons having a service qualification by virtue of paragraph (c) of section 14(1), the British Council shall be under a corresponding obligation to that imposed by subsections (1) to (3) on the appropriate government department.""
On Question, Whether the said amendment (No. 1) shall be agreed to?
Their Lordships divided: Contents, 116; Not-Contents, 203.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Not-Content)||Minority (Content)||Turnout|
|Con||0||100 (+2 tell)||48.6%|
|Lab||131 (+2 tell)||0||62.4%|
|Allenby of Megiddo||Crossbench||aye|
|Cameron of Dillington||Crossbench||aye|
|The of Erroll||Crossbench||aye|
|Howe of Idlicote||Crossbench||aye|
|Montgomery of Alamein||Crossbench||aye|
|Saltoun of Abernethy||Crossbench||aye|
|Thomas of Swynnerton||Crossbench||aye|
|Williamson of Horton||Crossbench||aye|