Education and Inspections Bill — Stop faith schools requiring that candidates for headteacher posts belong to the relevant faith — rejected — 30 Oct 2006 at 18:17
The majority Not Contents defeated an attempt to delete subsection 1 of Clause 37 in the Education and Inspections Bill. This subsection allows faith schools to require that candidates for headteacher posts belong to the relevant faith.
Reserved teachers are teachers employed specifically to deliver religious education. Previously reserved teachers could not be head teachers but subsection 1 of clause 37 in the Education and Inspections Bill removes this requirement.
The amendment in this division aimed to keep the existing regime in place so that head teachers could not be reserved teachers. However, it was defeated.
The main aims of the Education and Inspections Bill were to:
- Allow schools to achieve 'foundation' or 'trust' status - this gives governing bodies greater freedom to manage the school.
- Reaffirm the existing ban on selection by ability and proposes a ban on interviewing.
- Give local authorities greater scope to intervene more quickly in failing schools.
- Ensure local authorities provide free school transport for the poorest families.
- Enable nutritional standards to be applied to all food and drink on school premises.
- Allow staff to discipline children for bad behaviour even outside of school.
- Ensure parents are held responsible for excluded pupils.
-  Baroness Turner of Camden, House of Lords, 30 October 2006
-  BBC Summary of the Education and Inspections Bill, 8 March 2006
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Not-Content)||Minority (Content)||Turnout|
|Lab||114 (+2 tell)||16 (+1 tell)||61.0%|
|LDem||0||52 (+1 tell)||67.1%|
|Howe of Idlicote||Crossbench||aye|
|Gibson of Market Rasen||Lab||aye|
|Gould of Potternewton||Lab||aye|
|Howie of Troon||Lab||aye|
|Macdonald of Tradeston||Lab||aye|
|Massey of Darwen||Lab||aye|
|McIntosh of Haringey||Lab||aye|
|Turner of Camden||Lab||aye|