Education and Inspections Bill — Faith schools must accept pupils from outside the faith — rejected — 30 Oct 2006 at 22:24
Lord Lucas was absent
The majority Not Contents defeated an amendment which would have allowed Local Authorities (or the Secretary of State) to choose to require that new faith schools had to admit a portion of their intake (up to 25%) from outside the faith. The amendment introduces a new clause into the Education and Inspections Bill after clause 45. However, the amendment was rejected.
The main aims of the Education and Inspections Bill were to:
- Allow schools to achieve 'foundation' or 'trust' status - this gives governing bodies greater freedom to manage the school.
- Reaffirm the existing ban on selection by ability and proposes a ban on interviewing.
- Give local authorities greater scope to intervene more quickly in failing schools.
- Ensure local authorities provide free school transport for the poorest families.
- Enable nutritional standards to be applied to all food and drink on school premises.
- Allow staff to discipline children for bad behaviour even outside of school.
- Ensure parents are held responsible for excluded pupils.
-  Lord Baker of Dorking, House of Lords, 30 October 2006
-  BBC Summary of the Education and Inspections Bill, 8 March 2006
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Not-Content)||Minority (Content)||Turnout|
|Con||17||11 (+2 tell)||14.0%|
|Lab||79 (+2 tell)||15||44.0%|
|Lord Baker of Dorking||Con||aye|
|Baroness Bottomley of Nettlestone||Con||aye|
|The Earl of Dundee||Con||aye|
|The Earl of Onslow||Con||tellaye|
|Lord Renfrew of Kaimsthorn||Con||aye|
|Lord Wade of Chorlton||Con||aye|
|Baroness Cohen of Pimlico||Lab||aye|
|Lord Evans of Parkside||Lab||aye|
|Baroness Gould of Potternewton||Lab||aye|
|Lord Macdonald of Tradeston||Lab||aye|
|Baroness Massey of Darwen||Lab||aye|
|Baroness Turner of Camden||Lab||aye|
|Lord Lee of Trafford||LDem||aye|
|Baroness Miller of Chilthorne Domer||LDem (front bench)||aye|
|Baroness Thomas of Walliswood||LDem (front bench)||aye|