Education and Inspections Bill — Faith schools must accept pupils from outside the faith — rejected — 30 Oct 2006 at 22:24
The majority Not Contents defeated an amendment which would have allowed Local Authorities (or the Secretary of State) to choose to require that new faith schools had to admit a portion of their intake (up to 25%) from outside the faith. The amendment introduces a new clause into the Education and Inspections Bill after clause 45. However, the amendment was rejected.
The main aims of the Education and Inspections Bill were to:
- Allow schools to achieve 'foundation' or 'trust' status - this gives governing bodies greater freedom to manage the school.
- Reaffirm the existing ban on selection by ability and proposes a ban on interviewing.
- Give local authorities greater scope to intervene more quickly in failing schools.
- Ensure local authorities provide free school transport for the poorest families.
- Enable nutritional standards to be applied to all food and drink on school premises.
- Allow staff to discipline children for bad behaviour even outside of school.
- Ensure parents are held responsible for excluded pupils.
-  Lord Baker of Dorking, House of Lords, 30 October 2006
-  BBC Summary of the Education and Inspections Bill, 8 March 2006
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Not-Content)||Minority (Content)||Turnout|
|Con||17||11 (+2 tell)||14.0%|
|Lab||79 (+2 tell)||15||44.0%|
|Baker of Dorking||Con||aye|
|Bottomley of Nettlestone||Con||aye|
|The of Dundee||Con||aye|
|The of Onslow||Con||tellaye|
|Renfrew of Kaimsthorn||Con||aye|
|Wade of Chorlton||Con||aye|
|Cohen of Pimlico||Lab||aye|
|Evans of Parkside||Lab||aye|
|Gould of Potternewton||Lab||aye|
|Macdonald of Tradeston||Lab||aye|
|Massey of Darwen||Lab||aye|
|Turner of Camden||Lab||aye|
|Lee of Trafford||LDem||aye|
|Miller of Chilthorne Domer||LDem (front bench)||aye|
|Thomas of Walliswood||LDem (front bench)||aye|