Lisbon Treaty — Approves of the government's policy towards the Lisbon Treaty with regards to human rights — 5 Feb 2008 at 20:08
George Osborne MP, Tatton did not vote.
This was thus a further step along the road of ratifying the Lisbon Treaty and promoting closer European integration.
The main aims of the Lisbon Treaty were to:
- Streamline EU institutions
- Establish a permanent President of the European Council (as of 16 March 2010 held by Herman Van Rompuy)
- Establish the post of High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy (as of 16 March 2010 held by Catherine Ashton)
- Give new powers to the EU over justice and home affairs
- Remove the national veto in some areas such as energy security and emergency aid
-  Jack Straw MP, House of Commons, 5 February 2008
-  BBC News Q&A: The Lisbon Treaty, 5 February 2010
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Aye)||Minority (No)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||0||163 (+2 tell)||0||85.5%|
|Lab||299 (+2 tell)||0||0||85.5%|