Iraq Inquiry — Not the right time — 25 Mar 2008 at 21:45
Kenneth Clarke MP, Rushcliffe voted against a motion saying a time will come when an inquiry into the Iraq war is appropriate but that time hasn't been reached yet.
The majority of MPs voted against holding an inquiry into the Iraq war at this time but to agree a time will come when an inquiry is appropriate.
The majority voted for the motion before Parliament, which read:
This House --
- notes the Resolutions of this House of 31st October 2006 and 11th June 2007 on an Iraq inquiry;
- recognises that this House has already twice voted against holding an inquiry at these times;
- further recognises that a time will come when an inquiry is appropriate; but
- declines to make a proposal for a further inquiry at this time, whilst important operations are underway in Iraq to support the people and government of Iraq.
This replaced a motion in favour of an inquiry that was voted down previously.
-  Division 331, House of Commons, 31 October 2006.
-  Division 136, House of Commons, 11 June 2007
-  David Miliband MP, House of Commons, 25 March 2008.
-  Division 133, House of Commons, 25 March 2008
The question supported by the majority of MPs was:
That the original words stand part of the Question
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Aye)||Minority (No)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||0||175 (+2 tell)||0||92.2%|
|Lab||298 (+2 tell)||7||0||87.2%|
|Harry Cohen||Leyton and Wanstead||Lab (minister)||no|
|Jeremy Corbyn||Islington North||Lab||no|
|Kelvin Hopkins||Luton North||Lab (minister)||no|
|John Martin McDonnell||Hayes and Harlington||Lab||no|
|Linda Riordan||Halifax||Lab (minister)||no|
|Alan Simpson||Nottingham South||Lab||no|