Criminal Justice and Immigration Bill — Parliamentary oversight of police and prison service pay — rejected — 6 May 2008 at 19:45
Kelvin Hopkins MP, Luton North voted in the minority (No).
- The Home Secretary may not make regulations under the Police Act 1996 that differ from the recommendations of the Police Negotiation Board, or regulations under the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 that differ from the recommendations of Prison Service Pay Review Board, unless they have been put to a vote by MPs.
According to reports, Labour backbenchers had planned a rebellion on this vote, but in the hurry to get this Bill passed before midnight, there was too much confusion and the rebels voted with the government by mistake. One Realising the error, Jeremy Corbyn negated his vote by voting both.
-  Jack Straw MP, House of Commons, 6 May 2008
-  Criminal Justice and Immigration Bill, Index Page
-  Criminal Justice and Immigration Bill - Parliamentary oversight of police and prison service pay, House of Lords, 30 Apr 2008
-  Police Act 1996, Section 62, Functions of the Board with respect to regulations
-  Justice and Public Order Act 1994, Clause 128, Pay and related conditions
-  HP Sauce, Private Eye No. 1210, 16 May 2008
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Aye)||Minority (No)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||0||139 (+2 tell)||0||73.4%|
|Lab||268 (+2 tell)||5||2||78.9%|
|David Drew||Stroud||Lab (minister)||no|
|Kate Hoey||Vauxhall||Lab (minister)||no|
|Kelvin Hopkins||Luton North||Lab (minister)||no|
|Alan Simpson||Nottingham South||Lab||no|
|Keith Vaz||Leicester East||Lab (minister)||no|
|Katy Clark||North Ayrshire and Arran||Lab (minister)||both|
|Jeremy Corbyn||Islington North||Lab||both|