Lisbon Treaty — Restrict the jurisdiction of the Court of Justice of the European Union — rejected — 9 Jun 2008 at 19:30
The majority Not-Contents rejected an amendment to the European Union (Amendment) Bill. This would have established that rulings by the Court of Justice of the European Union are not superior to laws made by the UK parliament.
- Streamline EU institutions
- Establish a permanent President of the European Council (as of 16 March 2010 held by Herman Van Rompuy)
- Establish the post of High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy (as of 16 March 2010 held by Catherine Ashton)
- Give new powers to the EU over justice and home affairs
- Remove the national veto in some areas such as energy security and emergency aid
-  Lord Neill of Bladen, House of Lords, 9 June 2008
-  BBC News Q&A: The Lisbon Treaty, 5 February 2010
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Not-Content)||Minority (Content)||Turnout|
|Con||0||149 (+1 tell)||73.2%|
|Crossbench||16||15 (+1 tell)||16.9%|
|Lab||126 (+2 tell)||1||59.4%|
|Burnett||LDem (front bench)||aye|