Criminal Evidence (Witness Anonymity) Bill — 15 Jul 2008 at 18:12
Lord Cameron of Dillington voted in the minority (Content).
moved Amendment No. 9:
After Clause 5, insert the following new Clause-
(1) For the purposes of considering an application for a witness anonymity order, the court may appoint an independent counsel to assist the court.
(2) The court may direct the independent counsel to scrutinise on the court's behalf any relevant matter the court thinks fit, and to carry out any instruction the court thinks fit.
(3) The party applying for the witness anonymity order must disclose to the independent counsel all information relating to the proceedings that is in that party's possession.
(4) The independent counsel shall have power to require police officers unconnected with the relevant trial to investigate and to report to him whether there are any matters relevant to the considerations set out in section 5(2)(d) and (e) which should be drawn to the attention of the court.
(5) The independent counsel shall be entitled to examine witnesses and to assist the court in its consideration of Conditions A to C in section 4."
On Question, Whether the said amendment (No. 9) shall be agreed to?
Their Lordships divided: Contents, 71; Not-Contents, 150.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Not-Content)||Minority (Content)||Turnout|
|Lab||131 (+2 tell)||0||61.3%|
|LDem||0||53 (+2 tell)||70.5%|