Iraq Inquiry — Welcomes the inquiry — 24 Jun 2009 at 18:43
Nick Herbert MP, Arundel and South Downs voted in the minority (No).
The majority of MPs voted for the motion, which read:
- This House
- welcomes the announcement by the Government of a wide ranging and independent inquiry to establish the lessons to be learnt from the United Kingdom's engagement in Iraq, which will consider the run-up to the conflict, the military action and reconstruction;
- recognises the importance of allowing the families of those who gave their lives in Iraq to express their views about the nature and procedures of the inquiry;
- notes the Prime Minister's request that the chairman of the inquiry consult party leaders and chairs of the relevant parliamentary committees on the scope for taking evidence under oath and holding sessions in public; and
- commends the proposal by the chair of the inquiry to hold as much of the proceedings as possible in public without compromising national security or the inquiry's ability to report thoroughly and without delay.
-  David Miliband MP, House of Commons, 24 June 2009
-  David Heath MP, House of Commons, 24 June 2009
-  Gordon Brown, House of Commons, 15 June 2009
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Aye)||Minority (No)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||0||171 (+2 tell)||0||90.1%|
|Lab||301 (+2 tell)||11||1||90.3%|
|Jeremy Corbyn||Islington North||Lab||no|
|Paul Flynn||Newport West||Lab||no|
|Roger Godsiff||Birmingham, Sparkbrook and Small Heath||Lab||no|
|Kelvin Hopkins||Luton North||Lab||no|
|John McDonnell||Hayes and Harlington||Lab||no|
|Alan Simpson||Nottingham South||Lab||no|
|Gavin Strang||Edinburgh East||Lab||no|
|David Taylor||North West Leicestershire||Lab||both|