Opposition Day — Defence — Military Covenant — Military Funding — 1 Mar 2010 at 18:46
Patrick McLoughlin MP, West Derbyshire voted to express a belief the military has been underfunded and the Government has failed to honor the Military Covenant.
The majority of MPs voted against expressing a belief the military has been underfunded and the Government has failed to honor the Military Covenant.
The majority of MPs rejected the following motion in this vote:
- That this House
- expresses its continued support for HM armed forces personnel and their families;
- notes that over 440 service personnel have been killed on operations in Iraq and Afghanistan since 2001;
- further notes that the armed forces have operated over the original planning assumptions for years;
- regrets that there has not been a Strategic Defence Review (SDR) since 1998;
- believes that the 1998 SDR was never fully funded and failed to provide proper equipment for the Iraq war;
- recognises that the Government failed to plan for post-conflict reconstruction in Iraq;
- further recognises the cut to the helicopter budget by £1.4 billion in 2004;
- is concerned about the cuts to the frigate and destroyer fleet from the 32 recommended in the 1998 SDR 10 to 23;
- is further concerned by the failure to provide the Royal Air Force with a modern troop transport and air-to-air refuelling fleet;
- believes that the Government has presided over a failed procurement process;
- further believes that the Government has failed properly to fund the armed forces for wartime operations; and
- calls on the Government to acknowledge its failure to honour the Military Covenant.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||0||160 (+2 tell)||0||83.9%|
|Lab||274 (+2 tell)||0||0||79.1%|