Opposition Day — Industry (Government Support) — 16 Jun 2010 at 18:45
Rehman Chishti MP, Gillingham and Rainham voted to support the Government's policies aimed at a business-led economic recovery.
The majority of MPs voted to support the Government's policies aimed at a business-led economic recovery.
The majority of MPs supported a motion stating:
"That this House
- notes the need for a clear deficit reduction plan, and that such a plan must have at its heart measures to foster growth and create the conditions for a strong business-led recovery;
- believes Government has a crucial role to play in fostering economic growth and in creating a better-balanced economy;
- supports strategic decisions to back key sectors such as digital, life sciences, low carbon manufacturing and civil nuclear power;
- welcomes the Government's £150 million investment in a further 50,000 apprenticeships and their £50 million to support the college building programme that was in chaos under the last Government;
- further welcomes the extra 10,000 university places on offer for 2010-11; notes with concern the wasteful, ineffective policies pursued by the last Government regarding industrial support, and
- commends the Government's plans for local enterprise partnerships that will deliver better value for money and support long-term growth objectives;
- recognises the need for a review of all projects approved since 1 January 2010 to evaluate their worth to the economy and taxpayer;
- welcomes Government support for entrepreneurs by reducing bureaucracy and increasing flexibility for both employees and employers; and
- believes the Government has made a strong early start in providing the conditions for long-term low-carbon economic growth and rebalancing the economy."
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Aye)||Minority (No)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||272 (+1 tell)||0||0||89.2%|
|Lab||0||234 (+2 tell)||0||91.5%|
|LDem||47 (+1 tell)||0||0||84.2%|