Academies Bill — Require Academies to Comply with the School Admissions Code — rejected — 21 Jul 2010 at 21:30
Alan Meale MP, Mansfield voted to require Academy Schools to follow the School Admissions Code.
The majority of MPs voted not to require Academy Schools to follow the School Admissions Code.
The text of the defeated amendment was:
- page 2, line 8, at end insert-
- (e) the school must comply with the provisions of the Code for School Admissions issued from time to time by the Secretary of State.'
Green Party MP Caroline Lucas and Labour backbencher Ian Mearns MP had tabled amendments to the same end but the one voted on was proposed by the Labour opposition education team led by Ed Balls MP.
-  February 2010 version of the School Admissions Code (.doc file)
-  Department Children Schools and Families webpage on the School Admissions Code (DCSF has been renamed the Department for Education)
-  Amendments sheet (Amendment voted on is no.23)
-  Academies Bill as of 14th July 2010
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||275 (+1 tell)||0||0||90.2%|
|Lab||0||206 (+2 tell)||0||80.6%|
|LDem||43 (+1 tell)||1||0||78.9%|
|Mike Hancock||Portsmouth South||whilst LDem (front bench)||aye|