Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Bill — Schedule 2 — Use of Independent Schools as Polling Stations — 18 Oct 2010 at 21:30
Simon Danczuk MP, Rochdale voted to require independent schools to house polling stations if counting officers wish to use them.
The majority of MPs voted against requiring independent schools to house polling stations if counting officers wished to use them.
- "The counting officer may use, free of charge, for the purpose of taking the poll—
- (a) a room in a school within paragraph (3);
paragraph 3 stated:
- (3) The schools within this paragraph are—
- (a) in England and Wales—
- (i) a school maintained or assisted by a local education authority;
- (ii) a school in respect of which grants are made out of moneys provided by Parliament to the person or body of persons responsible for the management of the school;
The amendment proposed adding the following to the end:
- '(iii) a school which enjoys charitable status.'.
Labour MP Chris Bryant explained his motivation for moving the amendment, in the debate prior to the vote he said:
- I do not see why state-provided schools should be regularly used and should therefore undergo the upheaval that polling stations cause, but the independent sector which, in the main, enjoys charitable status and is therefore able to have tax benefits, should not be required to provide the same facilities.
-  Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Bill as introduced
-  Section of Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Bill as introduced containing p.27
-  Chris Bryant MP House of Commons 18th October 2010
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||282 (+2 tell)||0||0||92.8%|
|Lab||0||216 (+2 tell)||0||84.5%|