Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Bill — Clause 10 — Boundary Commission proposals: publicity and consultation — 20 Oct 2010 at 21:00
John Baron MP, Basildon and Billericay did not vote.
The majority of MPs voted to require publicity and consultation on changes to Parliamentary constituency boundaries recommended by a Boundary Commission.
The vote was technically on whether to accept Clause 10 of the Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Bill.
Key elements of the clause include:
- That consultations be run by the Boundary Commission on proposed constituency changes.
- No public enquiries into changes are to be initiated by the Boundary Commission.
- There is only a requirement to consult on the initial proposals, and on the first of any revisions; no consultations are required for second and subsequent revisions.
The Clause was not amended during the committee of the whole house, and no proposed amendments were voted on.
-  Division on The Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Bill — Clause 9 — Number of MPs
-  Clause 10 of the Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Bill - Boundary Commission proposals: publicity and consultation As published on 22.07.2010 ie. the Bill as introduced to the Commons.
-  Clause 12 of the Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Bill - Boundary Commission proposals: publicity and consultation As published on 26.10.2010 ie. following amendments in the Commons committee.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Aye)||Minority (No)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||268 (+1 tell)||1||0||88.2%|
|Lab||0||119 (+2 tell)||0||46.9%|
|LDem||49 (+1 tell)||0||0||87.7%|
|David Nuttall||Bury North||Con (front bench)||no|