Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Bill — Clause 11 — number and distribution of seats — 1 Nov 2010 at 19:42
Oliver Letwin MP, West Dorset voted against a provision which would ensure a whole number of MPs would represent each of Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, Anglesey, Argyll and Bute, the Highland Council area and the Isle of Wight.
The majority of MPs voted against ensuring a whole number of MPs would represent each of Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, Anglesey, Argyll and Bute, the Highland Council area and the Isle of Wight.
MPs rejected adding these additional exemptions from the rules intended to equalise the number of electors in each UK parliamentary constituency. The provision as it stood already provided for the maintenance of the constituencies of Orkney and Shetland and Na h-Eileanan an Iar (The Outer Hebrides).
The rejected provision would have ensured neither the whole, or parts, of these additional areas are not merged with neighbouring areas to create new constituencies. The concerns are either that the resulting constituencies would end up being impractically geographically large, or that the constituencies' boundaries would become out of step with either the physical geography, or in the case of Cornwall the boundaries of the Celtic nation.
- Preserved constituencies
- 6 (1) There shall continue to be—
- (a) a constituency named Orkney and Shetland, comprising the areas of the Orkney Islands Council and the Shetland Islands Council;
- (b) a constituency named Na h-Eileanan an Iar, comprising the area of Comhairle nan Eilean Siar.
- (2) Rule 2 does not apply to these constituencies.
The rejected proposal voted on was to replace this with:
- Whole numbers of constituencies
- (1) The following shall be allocated whole numbers of constituencies by whichever Boundary Commission is responsible for them-
- (a) Orkney Islands and Shetland Islands council areas;
- (b) Comhairle nan Eilean Siar council area;
- (c) the Cyngor Sir Ynys Môn Isle of Anglesey county area;
- (d) the Isle of Wight county area;
- (e) the County of Cornwall and Isles of Scilly council areas;
- (f) the Highland Council area;
- (g) the Argyll and Bute Council area.
- (2) The number of constituencies to be allocated to each area shall be determined by dividing the electorate of the area or areas concerned by the United Kingdom Electoral Average and rounding to the nearest whole number, unless this would mean that rule 4(1) could not be satisfied, in which case the area concerned will be allocated the smallest number of constituencies required in order to satisfy that rule. Each area must be allocated at least one whole constituency.
- (3) In this rule "United Kingdom Electoral Average" means (where E is the electorate of the United Kingdom)
-  Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Bill - as amended in the committee of the whole house - Published 26th October 2010
-  Page on the Parliament website for the Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Bill
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||273 (+1 tell)||8||0||92.2%|
|Lab||0||229 (+1 tell)||0||89.1%|
|LDem||42 (+1 tell)||9 (+1 tell)||0||93.0%|
|Peter Bottomley||Worthing West||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Philip Davies||Shipley||Con (front bench)||aye|
|George Eustice||Camborne and Redruth||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Philip Hollobone||Kettering||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Sheryll Murray||South East Cornwall||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Sarah Newton||Truro and Falmouth||Con (front bench)||aye|
|David Nuttall||Bury North||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Andrew Turner||Isle of Wight||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Andrew George||St Ives||LDem (front bench)||aye|
|Stephen Gilbert||St Austell and Newquay||LDem (front bench)||aye|
|Mike Hancock||Portsmouth South||whilst LDem (front bench)||aye|
|Charles Kennedy||Ross, Skye and Lochaber||LDem||aye|
|Greg Mulholland||Leeds North West||LDem (front bench)||aye|
|Alan Reid||Argyll and Bute||LDem (front bench)||tellaye|
|Dan Rogerson||North Cornwall||LDem (front bench)||aye|
|Bob Russell||Colchester||LDem (front bench)||aye|
|Adrian Sanders||Torbay||LDem (front bench)||aye|
|John Thurso||Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross||LDem (front bench)||aye|