Opposition Day — School Sports Funding — 30 Nov 2010 at 19:10
Dai Havard MP, Merthyr Tydfil and Rhymney voted to ask the Government to reverse their decision to remove funding from the Youth Sport Trust, cut specialist sports schools and dismantle School Sport Partnerships.
The majority of MPs voted to support the Government's decision to remove funding from the Youth Sport Trust, cut specialist sports schools and dismantle School Sport Partnerships.
The text of the rejected motion was:
- That this House
- congratulates the Youth Sport Trust on achieving major advances in youth sport over the past decade;
- believes that a good school sports policy must always be a combination of competition with coaching and opportunities for all to participate;
- notes that the number of young people doing two hours of sport a week has risen from 25 per cent. in 2002 to at least 90 per cent. last year, with over 1.6 million more young people involved in competitive sport between schools than in 2006;
- believes that removing funding for the Youth Sport Trust, cutting the specialist school status and dismantling School Sport Partnerships will undermine the Olympic legacy and the fight against obesity in young people; and
- therefore calls on the Government to reverse this decision, and to work with the Youth Sport Trust to find a solution that does not deprive children of the many health, wellbeing and educational advantages they gain from school sport.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||259 (+2 tell)||0||0||85.3%|
|Lab||0||222 (+2 tell)||0||87.2%|
|Andrew George||St Ives||LDem (front bench)||both|
|Bob Russell||Colchester||LDem (front bench)||both|