Fixed Term Parliaments Bill — Clause 2 — Speaker's Certificate re Early General Election to be Issued Within 24 Hours — 1 Dec 2010 at 15:30
John Baron MP, Basildon and Billericay did not vote.
The majority of MPs voted against requiring a certificate from the Speaker relating to an early general election be issued within 24 hours of the conditions requiring the holding of such an early election being met.
- Amendment 23, in clause 2, page 2, line 17, at end insert
- '(4A) The Speaker shall issue a certificate under subsection (1) or (2) within 24 hours of the relevant conditions being met under subsection (1) or (2).'.
This amendment would have introduced a new subclause into clause two of the Bill as it stood. The certificate in question is one relating to the calling of an early general election in light of one of the criteria in the clause requiring an election being met. Those criteria being the passing of a motion in favour of an early parliamentary general election, either without objection, or with a two-thirds majority, or a vote of no-confidence in the Government having been passed, and no subsequent vote of confidence being obtained within 14 days.
-  Fixed Term Parliaments Bill (now an act) page on Parliament's website
-  Amendment sheet for consideration of the Fixed Term Parliaments Bill on 1 December 2010
-  Clause 2 of the Fixed Term Parliaments Bill at the time of the vote
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||250 (+1 tell)||4||0||83.3%|
|Lab||0||210 (+2 tell)||0||82.5%|
|LDem||51 (+1 tell)||0||0||91.2%|
|Philip Hollobone||Kettering||Con (front bench)||aye|
|David Nuttall||Bury North||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Richard Shepherd||Aldridge-Brownhills||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Andrew Turner||Isle of Wight||Con (front bench)||aye|