Fixed Term Parlaiments Bill — New Clause 5 — Expiry and revival of section 2 — 18 Jan 2011 at 20:00
Steve Rotheram MP, Liverpool, Walton voted in the minority (Aye).
'(1) Section 2 expires when the Parliament summoned to meet in May 2010 dissolves.
(2) In the course of the first month of the day of first meeting of any Parliament after the expiry of section 2 as a result of subsection (1) above, the Minister may by order bring the section back into force for the remainder of that Parliament.
(3) An order made under subsection (2) above is to be made by statutory instrument and shall not be made unless a draft of the instrument has been laid before and approved by a resolution of the House of Commons.
(4) If no order has been made under subsection (2) above, an early parliamentary general election is to take place only if the House has passed a motion that there should be an early parliamentary general election.
(5) The polling day for an early parliamentary general election under subsection (4) above is to be the day appointed by Her Majesty by proclamation on the recommendation of the Prime Minister.
(6) If a polling day is appointed under subsection (5) above, the reference in section 1(4) to the polling day for a parliamentary general election appointed under section 2(6) shall be construed as if referring to a day appointed under subsection (5) above.'.- (Mr Cash.)
Brought up, and read the First time.
Question put, That the clause be read a Second time.
The House divided: Ayes 233, Noes 321.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||261 (+1 tell)||7 (+2 tell)||0||88.6%|
|LDem||51 (+1 tell)||0||0||91.2%|
|Bernard Jenkin||Harwich and North Essex||Con||aye|
|David Nuttall||Bury North||Con||tellaye|
|Jacob Rees-Mogg||North East Somerset||Con||aye|
|Andrew Turner||Isle of Wight||Con||aye|