Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Bill — Minimum of 35 MPs for Wales — 26 Jan 2011 at 19:57
Lord Prescott was absent
The majority of members of the House of Lords voted against requiring a minimum of 35 MPs for Wales.
The House of Lords was considering the Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Bill. The motion rejected in this vote was:
- Amendment 89BA: Clause 11, page 11, line 26, at end insert-
- "(5) If the number of constituencies allocated to Wales under sub-paragraph (3) is fewer than 35, an additional allocation shall be made to Wales to ensure that it has 35 constituencies.
- (6) Where an additional allocation is made under sub-paragraph (5) above, sub-paragraph (7) shall apply in place of rule 2.
- (7) The electorate of any constituency in Wales shall be-
- (a) no less than 95% of the Welsh electoral quota; and
- (b) no more than 105% of that quota;
- the "Wales electoral quota" meaning W/P, where W is the electorate of Wales and P is the number of constituencies allocated to Wales."
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
|Party||Majority (Not-Content)||Minority (Content)||Turnout|
|Con||118 (+1 tell)||0||54.6%|
|Lab||0||125 (+2 tell)||52.9%|
|LDem||60 (+1 tell)||0||66.3%|
|Viscount Craigavon||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|Baroness D'Souza||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|Baroness Deech||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|Lord Jay of Ewelme||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|The Countess of Mar||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|Baroness Masham of Ilton||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|Lord Pannick||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|Lord Scott of Foscote||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|Lord Walpole||Crossbench (front bench)||no|