European Union Bill — New Clause 11 — Referendum on EU Membership If Referendum Opposes Transfer of Powers — 1 Feb 2011 at 21:15
The majority of MPs voted against a proposal that if a proposed transfer of powers from the UK to the EU was rejected in a referendum a subsequent, binding, referendum ought be held on the UK's membership of the EU.
MPs were debating the European Union Bill. The text of the clause MPs rejected was:
- In order to meet the referendum condition referred to in section 2, section 3 and section 6 of this Act, the Act providing for the approval of-
- (a) a treaty under the terms of section 2; or
- (b) a decision under the terms of section 3; or
- (c) a decision or draft decision under section 6
- shall also provide for a further binding referendum to be held on continuing United Kingdom membership of the European Union, if the majority of those voting in a referendum held under the terms of the relevant section are opposed to the ratification of the treaty, decision or draft decision, as the case may be
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||250 (+2 tell)||18 (+2 tell)||0||88.9%|
|Richard Shepherd||Aldridge-Brownhills||Con (front bench)||aye|
|John Baron||Basildon and Billericay||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Andrew Percy||Brigg and Goole||Con (front bench)||aye|
|David Nuttall||Bury North||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Christopher Chope||Christchurch||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Bernard Jenkin||Harwich and North Essex||Con (front bench)||aye|
|James Clappison||Hertsmere||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Andrew Turner||Isle of Wight||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Philip Hollobone||Kettering||Con (front bench)||tellaye|
|Julian Lewis||New Forest East||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Andrew Bridgen||North West Leicestershire||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Zac Goldsmith||Richmond Park||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Mark Reckless||Rochester and Strood||Con (front bench)||tellaye|
|Gordon Henderson||Sittingbourne and Sheppey||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Richard Drax||South Dorset||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Anne Main||St Albans||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Bill Cash||Stone||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Peter Bone||Wellingborough||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Steven Baker||Wycombe||Con (front bench)||aye|