Police and Criminal Evidence Act (PACE) Code Revision — Stop and Search — Fingerprints and DNA — Entry and Search — CCTV — 9 Feb 2011 at 20:39
Anna Soubry MP, Broxtowe voted to update the PACE codes to reflect legislative and policy changes on Stop and Search, Fingerprints and DNA, Entry and Search and CCTV.
The majority of MPs voted to update the Police and Criminal Evidence Act (PACE) Codes in line with changes in legislation and policy.
Changes noted in the explanatory memorandum include:
- changes in the use of the stop and search powers in sections 44-47 of the Terrorism Act 2000
- changes made by the Crime and Security Act 2010 to i) reduce the level of recording of stop and search encounters and ii) implement the powers to take fingerprints and samples for recordable offences under sections 61, 62 and 63 PACE and provisions under the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005 section 117 for mobile fingerprinting.
- changes to Code B on the police’s power to enter and search premises under section 18 of PACE and powers introduced by the Prevention of Terrorism Act 2005 to search premises of persons subject to control orders
- changes to Code D regarding procedures for obtaining evidence of recognition from viewing images, for example CCTV
The motion approved by the majority of MPs was:
- That the draft Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 (Codes of Practice) (Revision of Codes A, B and D) Order 2010, which was laid before this House on 17 November, be approved.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Aye)||Minority (No)||Both||Turnout|
|Khalid Mahmood||Birmingham, Perry Barr||Lab||no|
|John Mann||Bassetlaw||Lab (minister)||no|
|Yasmin Qureshi||Bolton South East||Lab (minister)||no|
|Geoffrey Robinson||Coventry North West||Lab||no|
|Emily Thornberry||Islington South and Finsbury||Lab (minister)||no|
|Keith Vaz||Leicester East||Lab (minister)||no|
|Joan Walley||Stoke-on-Trent North||Lab (minister)||no|
|Alan Whitehead||Southampton, Test||Lab (minister)||no|