Taxation of the Financial Sector — Financial Transaction Tax — Banking Levy — 9 Feb 2011 at 20:39
The majority of MPs voted for a banking levy, a tax charged as a fraction of a bank's assets, and against a financial transaction tax.
The motion passed in this vote was:
- That this House
- takes note of European Union Document No. 15282/10 and Addendum, relating to financial sector taxation;
- recognises that decisions regarding direct taxes are primarily a matter for sovereign governments;
- supports the timely action the Government has already taken to introduce a permanent levy on bank balance sheets to ensure that banks make a full and fair contribution in respect of the potential risks they pose to the wider economy;
- notes that the Government continues to explore the costs and benefits of financial activities taxes and will work with international partners to secure agreement; and
- further supports the Government's position that an EU-wide financial transaction tax could lead to the relocation of financial services outside the EU.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Aye)||Minority (No)||Both||Turnout|
|Peter Bone||Wellingborough||Con (front bench)||no|
|Bill Cash||Stone||Con (front bench)||no|
|Christopher Chope||Christchurch||Con (front bench)||no|
|David Davis||Haltemprice and Howden||Con||no|
|Philip Hollobone||Kettering||Con (front bench)||no|
|Bernard Jenkin||Harwich and North Essex||Con (front bench)||no|
|Anne Main||St Albans||Con (front bench)||no|
|David Nuttall||Bury North||Con (front bench)||no|
|Richard Shepherd||Aldridge-Brownhills||Con (front bench)||no|
|Andrew Turner||Isle of Wight||Con (front bench)||no|
|Frank Field||Birkenhead||Lab (minister)||aye|
|Emily Thornberry||Islington South and Finsbury||Lab (minister)||aye|
|Hywel Williams||Arfon||PC (front bench)||aye|