Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Bill — Threshold for Making Result of AV Referendum Binding — 16 Feb 2011 at 12:46
The majority of members of the House of Lords voted to make the referendum on using the "alternative vote" system for electing MPs non-binding on the Government if less than 40% of the electorate took part.
The House of Lords was considering the Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Bill. The amendment accepted in this vote was:
- Amendment A1: As an amendment to Motion A, leave out from "House" to end and insert "do insist on its Amendments 1 and 8".
Motion A was:
- That this House do not insist on its Amendments 1 and 8 to which the Commons have disagreed for their Reasons 1A and 8A:
Amendment 1 was:
- Page 1, line 5, at end insert—
- “(1A) If less than 40% of the electorate vote in the referendum, the result shall not be binding.”
Amendment 8 was:
- Page 5, line 36, at end insert—
- “( ) In section 1(1A)—
- (a) “the electorate” is defined as those persons entitled to vote in the referendum, as defined in section 2;
- (b) the turnout figure is to be calculated on the basis that 100% turnout is defined as the total number of individuals who are entitled to vote in the referendum, as defined in section 2; and
- (c) “vote” is defined as votes counted under Part 1 of this Act.”
Both of these amendments relate to making the referendum on using the "alternative vote" system for electing MPs non-binding on the Government if less than 40% of the electorate took part.
-  Parliament's webpage on the Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Bill
-  Lords Amendments to the Parliamentary Voting System and Constituencies Bill
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Content)||Minority (Not-Content)||Turnout|
|Con||28||122 (+1 tell)||66.5%|
|Lab||180 (+2 tell)||0||72.5%|
|LDem||1||73 (+1 tell)||75.8%|
|Cavendish of Furness||Con||aye|
|Forsyth of Drumlean||Con||aye|
|Gardner of Parkes||Con||aye|
|Griffiths of Fforestfach||Con||aye|
|Hamilton of Epsom||Con||aye|
|Harris of Peckham||Con||aye|
|Hodgson of Astley Abbotts||Con||aye|
|Howard of Rising||Con||aye|
|Howe of Aberavon||Con||aye|
|Lamont of Lerwick||Con||aye|
|Lawson of Blaby||Con||aye|
|Moore of Lower Marsh||Con||aye|
|Norton of Louth||Con||aye|
|Stevens of Ludgate||Con||aye|