Police Reform and Social Responsibility Bill — Clause 142 — Directions Releated to Prohibited Actvitity in Parliament Square — 31 Mar 2011 at 17:00
Norman Lamb MP, North Norfolk voted with the majority (Teller for the Noes).
The majority of MPs voted to empower local government officials, as well as police officers, to direct that prohibited activity in Parliament Square must either cease, or not start. Prohibited activities include operating any amplified noise equipment in the controlled area of Parliament Square as well as restrictions on the use of tents and sleeping equipment.
- Amendment 185, in page 95, line 8, leave out ‘or authorised officer’.
Had it been accepted this amendment would have given powers only to police constables, and not local government officials, to give directions relating to amplified noise equipment, tents, and sleeping equipment, in the controlled area of Parliament square.
The amendment would have affected Clause 142 of the Bill, titled "Prohibited activities in controlled area of Parliament Square".
'authorised officer' was defined in Clause 147 of the Bill as being officers of the Greater London Authority or Westminster City Council depending on the location within the controlled area.
-  Parliament's webpage on Police Reform and Social Responsibility Bill 2011 (Now an Act)
-  Version of the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Bill as at the time of the vote
-  Clause 142 of the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Bill as at the time of the vote
-  Clause 147 of the Police Reform and Social Responsibility Bill as at the time of the vote
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||237 (+1 tell)||0||0||77.8%|
|Lab||0||156 (+2 tell)||0||61.2%|
|LDem||39 (+1 tell)||0||0||70.2%|