Fixed-term Parliaments Bill — Report (2nd Day) — 16 May 2011 at 16:59
Lord Prescott was absent
Clause 2 : Early parliamentary general elections
Amendment 19 not moved.
Moved by Lord Howarth of Newport
20: Clause 2, leave out Clause 2 and insert the following new Clause-
"Early parliamentary general elections
(1) An early parliamentary general election is to take place if-
(a) the House of Commons passes a motion in the form set out in subsection (2), and
(b) if the motion is passed on a division, the number of members who vote in favour of the motion is a number equal to or greater than two thirds of the number of seats in the House (including vacant seats).
(2) The form of motion for the purposes of subsection (1)(a) is-
"That there shall be an early parliamentary general election."
(3) An early parliamentary general election is also to take place if-
(a) the House of Commons passes a motion in the form set out in subsection (4), and
(b) the period of 14 days after the day on which that motion is passed ends without the House passing a motion in the form set out in subsection (5).
(4) The form of motion for the purposes of subsection (3)(a) is-
"That this House has no confidence in Her Majesty's Government."
(5) The form of motion for the purposes of subsection (3)(b) is-
"That this House has confidence in Her Majesty's Government."
(6) Subsection (7) applies for the purposes of the Timetable in rule 1 in Schedule 1 to the Representation of the People Act 1983.
(7) If a parliamentary general election is to take place as provided for by subsection (1) or (3), the polling day for the election is to be the day appointed by Her Majesty by proclamation on the recommendation of the Prime Minister (and, accordingly, the appointed day replaces the day which would otherwise have been the polling day for the next election determined under section 1)."
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
|Party||Majority (Not-Content)||Minority (Content)||Turnout|
|Con||142 (+2 tell)||0||64.9%|
|Lab||0||154 (+2 tell)||63.7%|
|Lord Bew||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|Baroness Butler-Sloss||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|Lord Cameron of Dillington||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|Viscount Craigavon||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|Lord Fellowes||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|Lord Hannay of Chiswick||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|Lord Hennessy of Nympsfield||Crossbench||no|
|The Earl of Listowel||Crossbench||no|
|Lord Lloyd of Berwick||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|The Countess of Mar||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|Lord Scott of Foscote||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|Lord St John of Bletso||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|Lord Williamson of Horton||Crossbench||no|