European Union Bill — Requirement of Referendum Prior to the UK Adopting the Euro — 13 Jun 2011 at 19:15
Lord Howe of Aberavon voted to require a referendum prior to the UK adopting the Euro as its currency.
The majority of members of the House of Lords voted against requiring a referendum, and an Act of Parliament, prior to the UK adopting the single European currency, the Euro.
The House of Lords was considering the European Union Bill. The amendment rejected by the majority of members of the House of Lords in this vote was:
- Amendment 22: After Clause 6, insert the following new Clause-
- "Decision to join the euro
- (1) No notification shall be given to the Council of the European Communities that the United Kingdom intends to move to the third stage of economic and monetary union (in accordance with the Protocol on certain provisions relating to the United Kingdom adopted at Maastricht on 7th February 1992) unless-
- (a) the notification is approved by Act of Parliament, and
- (b) the referendum condition is met.
- (2) The referendum condition is that set out in section 3(2), with references to a decision being read for the purposes of subsection (1) as references to a notification."
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Not-Content)||Minority (Content)||Turnout|
|Con||118 (+1 tell)||4||55.4%|
|Lab||0||142 (+2 tell)||58.8%|
|LDem||58 (+1 tell)||6||68.4%|
|Lord Brittan of Spennithorne||Con||aye|
|Lord Howe of Aberavon||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Lord Best||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|Baroness D'Souza||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|Lord Martin of Springburn||Crossbench||no|
|Lord Mawson||Crossbench (front bench)||no|
|Lord Cotter||LDem (front bench)||aye|
|Lord Dykes||LDem (front bench)||aye|
|Lord Maclennan of Rogart||LDem (front bench)||aye|
|Lord Rodgers of Quarry Bank||LDem (front bench)||aye|
|Baroness Williams of Crosby||LDem||aye|