Public Bodies Bill — Schedule 1 — Power to Abolish Agricultural Wages Board — 25 Oct 2011 at 19:15
Owen Smith MP, Pontypridd voted not to give a minister the power to abolish the Agricultural Wages Board for England and Wales.
The majority of MPs voted to give a minister the power to abolish the Agricultural Wages Board for England and Wales.
The board was an independent statutory body which set minimum wage rates and other minimum employment terms and conditions for agricultural workers in England and Wales.
MPs were considering the Public Bodies Bill. The amendment rejected in this vote was:
- Amendment 32, page 21, line 11, leave out
- ‘Agricultural Wages Board for England and Wales’.
Had it not been rejected this amendment would have removed the ‘Agricultural Wages Board for England and Wales' from Schedule 1 to the Public Bodies Bill. Clause 1 of the Bill, in subclause 1 stated:
- A Minister may by order abolish a body or office specified in Schedule 1.
The Agricultural Wages Board (AWB) was set up in 1948 to provide a fair wage and skills structure for agricultural workers.
-  Consultation on the Future of the Agricultural Wages Board for England and Wales, and Agricultural Wages Committees and Agricultural Dwelling House Advisory Committees in England, October 2012
-  Parliament's webpage on the Public Bodies Bill
-  Schedule 1 to the Public Bodies Bill
-  Mary Creagh MP, (Wakefield, Labour), House of Commons, 25 October 2011
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||249 (+2 tell)||1||0||82.4%|
|Lab||0||210 (+2 tell)||0||82.2%|
|Julian Lewis||New Forest East||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Andrew George||St Ives||LDem (front bench)||aye|