Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Bill — Schedule 1 — Legal Aid in Clinical Negligence Cases — 31 Oct 2011 at 22:16
Charles Hendry MP, Wealden voted against making legal aid available in clinical negligence cases.
The majority of MPs voted against allowing civil legal aid to be provided in clinical negligence cases.
MPs were considering the Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Bill. The amendment rejected in this vote was:
- Amendment 142, page 110, line 32, at end insert—
- 19A (1) civil legal services provided in relation to Clinical Negligence.
- (2) In this paragraph clinical negligence means breach of duty or care or trespass to the person committed in the course of the provision of clinical or medical services (including dental or nursing services)’
This would have had effect on Schedule 1 of the Bill. Had it not been rejected the proposed clause would have been added to the list of types of cases in which civil legal aid can be awarded.
MP Karl Turner, who proposed the amendment, explained its purpose during the debate saying:
- The amendment would put clinical negligence back into the scope for legal aid.
-  Parliament's webpage on the Legal Aid, Sentencing & Punishment of Offenders Bill (now an Act)
-  Karl Turner MP (Kingston upon Hull East, Labour), House of Commons, 31 October 2011
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||261 (+1 tell)||0||0||85.3%|
|Lab||0||220 (+2 tell)||0||86.0%|
|LDem||39 (+1 tell)||3||0||75.4%|
|John Leech||Manchester, Withington||LDem (front bench)||aye|
|Greg Mulholland||Leeds North West||LDem (front bench)||aye|
|David Ward||Bradford East||LDem (front bench)||aye|