Electoral Registration and Administration Bill — Schedule 5 — Removal of Entries from the Register of Electors — 25 Jun 2012 at 22:00
Patrick McLoughlin MP, Derbyshire Dales voted to remove people from the register of electors if they fail to successfully make an individual voter registration application in the first two, rather than three, canvasses under the new individual registration system.
The majority of MPs voted to remove people from the register of electors if they fail to successfully make an individual voter registration application in the first two, rather than three, canvasses under the new individual registration system.
MPs were considering the Electoral Registration and Administration Bill. The amendment rejected in this vote was:
- Amendment 20, page 27, line 44, leave out ‘second’ and insert ‘third’.
Had it not been rejected this would have affected Schedule 5 part 2 of the Bill, specifically paragraph 6 which stated:
- A registration officer in Great Britain must, immediately before the
publication of a register following the second new canvass, remove the entry of any person who has neither—
- (a) had his or her entitlement to remain registered confirmed, nor
- (b) made a successful new application for registration in the register.
The first canvass under the new system was likely to be in late 2014, the second in 2015, and the third in 2016. The amendment sought not to remove people who had not confirmed their registration or made a new application for registration under the new system until the time of the third canvass, expected in 2016.
-  Parliament's webpage on the Electoral Registration and Administration Bill (now an Act)
-  Schedule 5 part 2 of the Electoral Registration and Administration Bill
-  Explanatory notes to the Electoral Registration and Administration Bill
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||230 (+1 tell)||0||0||75.5%|
|Lab||0||202 (+2 tell)||0||79.4%|
|LDem||45 (+1 tell)||0||0||80.7%|