Public Service Pensions Bill — Clause 3 — Prevention of Reducing Accrued Pension Benefits — 4 Dec 2012 at 16:30
John Baron MP, Basildon and Billericay voted not to expressly prevent new public sector pension schemes reducing accrued pensions benefits without the agreement of those affected.
The majority of MPs voted not to expressly prevent new public sector pension schemes reducing accrued pensions benefits without the agreement of those affected.
MPs were considering the Public Service Pensions Bill. The amendment rejected in this vote was:
- amendment 10, page 2, line 16, at end insert—
- ‘(3A) Scheme regulations shall not make any provision which would have the effect of reducing the amount of any pension, allowance or gratuity, insofar as that amount is directly or indirectly referable to rights which have accrued (whether by virtue of service rendered, contributions paid or any other thing done) before the coming into operation of the scheme, unless the persons specified in subsection (3B) have agreed to the inclusion of that provision.
- (3B) The persons referred to in subsection (3A) are the persons or representatives of the persons who appear to the responsible authority to be likely to be affected by the regulations if they were made.’.
This would have added the above subclauses to clause 3 of the Bill.
At the time of the vote subclause 3(3)(c) permitted new pensions schemes to "make retrospective provision", the amendment seeks to ensure no one is made worse off as a result of a new scheme being introduced, unless they agree to the proposal.
-  Parliament's webpage on the Public Service Pensions Bill (now an Act)
-  Clause 3 of the Public Service Pensions Bill as at the time of the vote
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||235 (+2 tell)||0||0||77.7%|
|Lab||0||208 (+2 tell)||0||81.4%|