Defamation Bill — Report — 5 Feb 2013 at 17:11
Moved by Lord Puttnam
1: After Clause 1, insert the following new Clause-
"Arbitration Service for defamation and related civil claims against members of Independent Regulatory Board
(1) The Lord Chief Justice shall establish a Defamation Recognition Commission.
(2) Schedule (Recognition Commission) makes provision relating to the Defamation Recognition Commission.
(3) The Defamation Recognition Commission shall certify bodies as Independent Regulatory Boards in accordance with the criteria in Schedule (Recognition Commission).
(4) An Independent Regulatory Board shall provide a recognised arbitration service as set out in Schedule (Specialist Arbitration Service).
(5) A court shall take into account when awarding costs and damages whether either party, claimant or defendant in a dispute has chosen not to use the recognised arbitration service of an Independent Regulatory Board.
(6) A court shall award costs under subsection (5) on an indemnity basis unless the interests of justice require otherwise.
(7) A court may order a successful party to pay all the costs of proceedings if such party has unreasonably refused to use an available recognised arbitration service.
(8) A court awarding in its judgment exemplary damages where a defendant is guilty of a flagrant breach of a defendants rights, can also take into account whether-
(a) a claimant refused to use a recognised arbitration service;
(b) a defendant refused to use or join a recognised arbitration service;
(c) the court shall also take into account whether a defendant first sought advice from a recognised Independent Regulatory Board before publication."
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Content)||Minority (Not-Content)||Turnout|
|Con||14||107 (+1 tell)||54.5%|
|Lab||172 (+2 tell)||0||72.5%|
|LDem||5||19 (+1 tell)||25.8%|
|Campbell of Alloway||Con||aye|
|Hurd of Westwell||Con||aye|
|Knight of Collingtree||Con||aye|
|The of Liverpool||Con||aye|
|Moore of Lower Marsh||Con||aye|
|Ryder of Wensum||Con||aye|
|Maclennan of Rogart||LDem||aye|
|Nicholson of Winterbourne||LDem||aye|
|Oakeshott of Seagrove Bay||LDem||aye|