Justice and Security Bill — Clause 2 — Intelligence and Security Committee — Consideration of Prospective New Agency Heads — 7 Mar 2013 at 15:30
John Baron MP, Basildon and Billericay voted against Parliament's Intelligence and Security Committee considering the proposed appointments of new heads of MI5, MI6 and GCHQ, including by questioning the prospective appointees and potentially holding hearings in public.
The majority of MPs voted against Parliament's Intelligence and Security Committee considering the proposed appointments of new heads of MI5, MI6 and GCHQ, including by questioning the prospective appointees and potentially holding hearings in public.
- Amendment proposed: 74, page 2, line 29, at end insert—
- ‘(4A) The ISC shall consider the proposed appointment of the following, including by questioning the prospective appointee at a meeting of the ISC—
- (a) the Head of the Security Service;
- (b) the Head of the Secret Intelligence Service;
- (c) the Head of the Government Communications Headquarters; and
- (d) such other persons as the Prime Minister may direct.
- (4B) The ISC may consider the appropriateness of holding hearings considering each prospective appointee’s proposed appointment in public.’.
Had it not been rejected the amendment would have added the above text to clause 2 of the Bill which sets out the main functions of the Intelligence and Security Committee.
-  Parliament's webpage on the Justice and Security Bill (now an Act)
-  Explanatory notes to the Justice and Security Bill
-  Clause 2 of the Justice and Security Bill
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||211 (+1 tell)||0||0||69.5%|
|Lab||0||160 (+2 tell)||0||62.8%|
|LDem||36 (+1 tell)||0||0||64.9%|