Transparency of Lobbying, Non-Party Campaigning and Trade Union Administration Bill — Clause 1 — Personal Registration of Employed Lobbyists — 9 Sep 2013 at 21:45
Anna Soubry MP, Broxtowe voted not to require the personal registration of individuals employed as lobbyists if their employer is registered.
The majority of MPs voted not to require the personal registration of individuals employed as lobbyists if their employer is registered.
Lobbyists are defined in the Bill as those who, in the course of a business and in return for payment, lobby ministers or permanent secretaries on behalf of others. The Bill also provides for some exemptions from the requirement to register.
MPs were considering the Transparency of Lobbying, Non-Party Campaigning and Trade Union Administration Bill. This vote rejected a proposed amendment which stated:
- page 1, line 6, leave out ‘or’ and insert ‘and’.
This would have taken effect on Clause (1) of the bill which stated:
- A person must not carry on the business of consultant lobbying unless—
- (a)the person, or
- (b)if the person is an employee, the person’s employer,is entered in the register of consultant lobbyists.
The intent of this rejected amendment appears have been to require individual employees to have entries on the register in addition to an entry for an employer,
-  Parliament's webpage on the Transparency of Lobbying, Non-party Campaigning and Trade Union Administration Bill 2013-14
-  Transparency of Lobbying, Non-Party Campaigning and Trade Union Administration Bill as introduced 17th July 2013
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||242 (+1 tell)||0||0||79.7%|
|Lab||0||198 (+2 tell)||0||77.5%|
|LDem||38 (+1 tell)||0||0||69.6%|