European Union (Referendum) Bill — Clause 1 — Consultation on Wording of Referendum Question — 22 Nov 2013 at 14:00
John Baron MP, Basildon and Billericay voted against consultation on the wording of the referendum question relating to the UK's membership of the EU.
The majority of MPs voted against a proposal to require at least six months of consultation on the wording of the referendum question relating to the UK's membership of the EU.
The bill as introduced included the text of the referendum question as:
"Do you think that the United Kingdom should be a member of the European Union?"
The amendment, which had it been accepted would omitted the wording of the question from the bill, and left it up to ministers to determine following consultation, was moved by MP Gareth Thomas. The official report, Hansard, records him as saying:
- I beg to move amendment 72, page 1, line 7, leave out subsection (4) and insert-
- (4) Before making an order under subsection (3) the Secretary of State shall conduct a consultation lasting not less than six months on what question should appear on the ballot paper, and shall by order set out the question to be asked.’.
Clause 1 subsection 3 of the bill as introduced included the text of the referendum question. Mr Thomas' rejected, amendment, proposed removing that and replacing it with a provision requiring at least six months of consultation on the wording of the referendum question.
-  European Union (Referendum) Bill as introduced on 20 June 2013
-  Gareth Thomas MP (Harrow West, Labour), House of Commons, 22 November 2013
-  Amendment sheet containing the amendment, numbered 72
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||254 (+2 tell)||0||0||83.9%|
|Lab||0||16 (+2 tell)||0||7.0%|