Business Rates — Action to Ease Burden — 4 Dec 2013 at 19:53
Anna Soubry MP, Broxtowe voted against action to ease the burden of business rates.
The majority of MPs voted against action to ease the burden of business rates.
The motion approved in this vote was:
- That the proposed words be there added.
The effect of the vote was to replace a motion, the operative element of which stated:
- That this House:
- calls on the Government to take action to ease the burden of business rates on all sectors.
with an alternative motion saying:
- That this House:
- acknowledges that this Government is taking decisive action to back business and make Britain’s economy work for everyone;
- notes that the Government has cut business rates, National Insurance and corporation tax for small firms despite the need to tackle the deficit left by the last Administration;
- observes that the value of small business rate relief has trebled since the general election and small business rate relief will be considered in the Autumn Statement;
- notes how the overall multiplier has been frozen in real terms;
applauds the abolition of the unfair port taxes;
- welcomes the Localism Act which has made small business rate relief easier to claim and allows councils to introduce local discounts;
notes with approval the rate relief in 24 enterprise zones;
- further welcomes the new empty rate relief for new build in contrast to the last Administration’s increases in empty rates;
endorses the way in which local rate retention now gives councils new incentives to support local enterprise; and
- rejects the policy proposals from Her Majesty’s Opposition on rates which would involve increasing corporation tax on all firms, undermining British jobs and businesses.”
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Aye)||Minority (No)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||232 (+1 tell)||0||0||76.4%|
|Lab||0||211 (+2 tell)||0||82.6%|
|LDem||38 (+1 tell)||0||0||69.6%|