Care Bill — Clause 90 — Role of Care Quality Commission — Local Government Provision of Adult Social Services — 10 Mar 2014 at 21:02
George Osborne MP, Tatton did not vote.
The majority of MPs voted against requiring The Care Quality Commission to review the provision, and commissioning, of adult social services by local councils.
MPs were considering the Care Bill. The text of the amendment rejected in this vote was:
- Amendment proposed: 19, page 81, line 27, at end insert—
- ‘(2A) The Commission must, in respect of such English local authorities as may be prescribed—
- (a) conduct reviews of the provision of such adult social services provided or commissioned by the authorities as may be prescribed;
- (b) assess the performance of the authorities following each such review; and
- (c) publish a report of its assessment.
- (2B) Regulations under subsection (2A) may prescribe—
- (a) all adult social services of a particular description; and
- (b) all local authorities or particular local authorities.’
This would have affected Clause 90 of the Bill as it stood at the time of the vote, which itself amended Part 1, Chapter 3 of the Health and Social Care Act 2008 which relates to The Care Quality Commission's role in reviewing health care standards.
The amendment would have essentially reinstated section 46(3) of the Health and Social Care Act 2008, which the Care Bill as it stood would have replaced; shifting the focus to a review of the service providers rather than the commissioners.
-  Parliament's webpage on the Care Bill
-  Clause 90 of the Bill as it stood at the time of the vote
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||237 (+2 tell)||0||0||78.4%|
|Lab||0||213 (+2 tell)||0||83.3%|