Opposition Day — Private Rented Sector — Ban on Letting Agent Fees — Default 3 Year Tenancies — Action on Excessive Rent Rises — 25 Jun 2014 at 15:49
Zac Goldsmith MP, Richmond Park voted against banning letting agent fees, against making three year tenancies the default in the private rented sector and against action on excessive rent rises during longer tenancies.
The majority of MPs voted against banning letting agent fees, against making three year tenancies the default in the private rented sector and against action on excessive rent rises during longer tenancies.
The motion rejected in this vote was:
- That this House
- recognises the private rented sector’s growing role in meeting housing need;
- notes that there are nine million people, including more than one million families with more than two million children, now renting privately;
- notes with concern the lack of stability and certainty that the sector provides to those who rent privately;
- further notes the increasing cost of renting and the unreasonable letting agent fees levied on tenants;
- calls on the Government to bring forward legislative proposals to reform the sector by banning letting agent fees being charged to tenants and making three year tenancies the standard for those who rent their homes in the private sector; and
- further calls on the Government to act on unpredictable rent rises by prohibiting excessive rent rises during longer-term tenancies.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||235 (+1 tell)||0||0||77.4%|
|Lab||0||215 (+2 tell)||0||84.1%|
|LDem||40 (+1 tell)||0||0||73.2%|
|David Simpson||Upper Bann||DUP (front bench)||no|