Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Bill — New Clause 2 — Pubs Code: Market Rent Only Option for Tenants of Large Pub-Owning Businesses — 18 Nov 2014 at 15:45
Oliver Letwin MP, West Dorset voted against requiring large pub-owning businesses to offer their tenants and leaseholders a market rent only option (rather than insisting on a contract requiring them to buy beer, and other supplies, from the pub company).
The majority of MPs voted to require large pub-owning businesses offer their tenants and leaseholders a market rent only option (rather than insisting on a contract requiring them to buy beer, and other supplies, from the pub company).
MPs were considering the Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Bill. The proposed new clause supported by the majority of MPs in this vote was titled: Pubs code: market rent only option for large pub-owning businesses. Its first sub-clause stated:
- The Pubs Code shall include a Market Rent Only Option to be provided by large pub-owning businesses in respect of their tenants and leaseholders.
The remainder of the clause provides definitions and further details.
The Pub Code is the name to be given to regulations which are to be brought in under the Bill. Clause 41 of the Bill stated:
- The Secretary of State must, before the end of the period of one year beginning with the day on which this section comes into force, make regulations about practices and procedures to be followed by pub-owning businesses in their dealings with their tied pub tenants.
The motion approved by the majority of MPs in this vote was:
- That the clause be read a Second time.
-  Parliament's webpage on the Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Bill
-  Official Record, House of Commons, 18 November 2014
-  Clause 41 of the Small Business, Enterprise and Employment Bill as at the time of the vote
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Aye)||Minority (No)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||17||235 (+1 tell)||1||83.8%|
|Lab||227 (+1 tell)||0||0||88.4%|
|LDem||24 (+1 tell)||23 (+1 tell)||0||87.5%|