Recall of MPs Bill — Clause 1 — If Conviction of MP for Fiddling Allowances Should Trigger New Election — 24 Nov 2014 at 17:45
Julian Huppert MP, Cambridge voted for the conviction of an MP for providing false or misleading information for allowances claims to trigger a new election for an MP in that constituency.
The majority of MPs voted for the conviction of an MP for providing false or misleading information for allowances claims to trigger a new election for an MP in that constituency.
MPs were considering the Recall of MPs Bill.
The amendment supported by the majority of MPs in this vote was:
- Amendment 24, page 2, line 9, at end insert—
- ‘( ) A further recall condition (section 10) is that—
- (a) the MP has, after becoming an MP, been convicted of an offence under section 10 of the Parliamentary Standards Act 2009 (offence of providing false or misleading information for allowances claims);
- (b) the appeal period expires without the conviction having been overturned on appeal.
- Sections 2 to 4 contain more about this recall condition.”
Had it not been rejected this would have added a the above text containing the new recall condition to clause 1 of the Bill.
The motion rejected by the majority of MPs in this vote was:
- That the amendment be made.
-  Parliament's webpage on the recall of MPs Bill
-  Clause one of the Recall of MPs Bill prior to the vote
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (Aye)||Minority (No)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||122||1 (+2 tell)||1||41.6%|
|Lab||109 (+2 tell)||0||0||43.0%|
|Mark Harper||Forest of Dean||Con (front bench)||no|
|Angela Watkinson||Hornchurch and Upminster||Con||tellno|
|Robert Goodwill||Scarborough and Whitby||Con (front bench)||both|