International Development (Official Development Assistance Target) Bill — New Clause 5 — Consider Payments to the EU, Welfare Benefits for Foreign Nationals and More as Development Aid — 5 Dec 2014 at 11:45
George Osborne MP, Tatton did not vote.
The majority of MPs voted against including the amount paid by the UK to the EU, welfare benefits paid to foreign nationals and those living abroad, and the costs of the Department for International Development in calculations of international aid spending.
MPs were considering the International Development (Official Development Assistance Target) Bill. The Bill provides for a target of at least 0.7% of national income being spent on international aid and includes arrangements for evaluation of that aid spending.
The proposed new clause rejected in this vote stated:
- An amount equivalent to the following annual payments, or estimates thereof, shall be included in the calculation of annual UK ODA for the purposes of section 1—
- (a) the amount payable by the United Kingdom to the European Union.
- (b) Welfare benefits paid to foreign nationals.
- (c) Welfare benefits paid to UK nationals living abroad.
- (d) The administrative costs of the Department for International Development and its agencies and associated public bodies.
The motion rejected in this vote was:
- That the clause be read a Second time.
-  Parliament's webpage on the MPs were considering the International Development (Official Development Assistance Target) Bill
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||38||3 (+2 tell)||0||14.2%|
|Lab||79 (+1 tell)||0||0||31.0%|
|LDem||24 (+1 tell)||0||0||44.6%|
|Christopher Chope||Christchurch||Con (front bench)||tellaye|
|Philip Davies||Shipley||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Philip Hollobone||Kettering||Con (front bench)||aye|
|David Nuttall||Bury North||Con (front bench)||tellaye|
|Jacob Rees-Mogg||North East Somerset||Con (front bench)||aye|