Scotland Bill — New Clause 21 — The Scottish Office for Budget Responsibility — 29 Jun 2015 at 22:13
Kevan Jones MP, North Durham voted to create a Scottish Office for Budget Responsibility to independently scrutinise Scotland‘s public finances.
The majority of MPs voted against creating a Scottish Office for Budget Responsibility which would independently scrutinise Scotland‘s public finances,
MPs were considering the Scotland Bill
The proposed new clause rejected in this vote was titled: The Scottish Office for Budget Responsibility and stated:
- (1) Part 2 of Schedule 5 to the Scotland Act 1998 (specific reservations) is amended as follows.
- (2) In Section A1 (fiscal, economic and monetary policy)—
- (a) For the heading “Exception” substitute “Exceptions”—
- (b) After that heading, insert—
- The creation of a body corporate, called The Scottish Office for Budget Responsibility, for the independent scrutiny of Scotland‘s public finances, including all tax and spending in areas for which the Scottish Government has legislative competence.”
An explanatory note accompanying the proposed new clause stated:
- This New Clause would provide for the creation of a Scottish Office for Budget Responsibility to exercise fiscal and budgetary oversight over Scottish Government competencies. The Smith Commission recommended that the Scottish Parliament should seek to expand and strengthen the independent scrutiny of Scotland’s public finances in recognition of the additional variability and uncertainty that further tax and spending devolution will introduce into the budgeting process.
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||312 (+2 tell)||0||0||95.2%|
|Lab||0||187 (+2 tell)||0||81.5%|