European Union Referendum Bill — Referendum Vote for EU Nationals Resident in the UK — 7 Sep 2015 at 23:27
John Baron MP, Basildon and Billericay did not vote.
The majority of MPs voted against allowing non-British EU citizens resident in the UK to vote in the referendum on the UK's membership of the EU.
MPs were considering the European Union Referendum Bill.
The amendment rejected in this vote was:
- Amendment 7, page 2, line 16, at end insert—
- “(d) the persons who on the date of the referendum would be entitled to vote in a European parliamentary election by virtue of the European Parliamentary Elections (Franchise of Relevant Citizens of the Union) Regulations 2001 (S.I. 2001/1184) (citizens of the European Union other than Commonwealth and Republic of Ireland citizens).”
The amendment was accompanied by an explanatory note stating:
- This amendment would extend the franchise to EU nationals who would be entitled to vote in EU parliamentary elections in the UK.
"Franchise" is a term for the a right to vote.
The rejected amendment would have amended Clause 2 of the Bill titled: Entitlement to vote in the referendum adding the text in question to the end of Clause 2 which sets out those eligible to vote. The new section (d) would have added those defined within it to the list of those eligible to vote in the referendum.
-  Parliament's webpage on the European Union Referendum Bill
-  Collins English Dictionary definition of suffrage
-  Version of the Bill to which the rejected amendment relates
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||310 (+2 tell)||0||0||94.5%|
|SNP||0||53 (+2 tell)||0||98.2%|
|Mike Gapes||Ilford South||Lab (minister)||aye|