European Union Referendum Bill — Clause 1 — Separation of Referendum on the UK's Membership of the EU from Other Elections — 7 Sep 2015 at 23:27
Dominic Grieve MP, Beaconsfield voted against requiring the date of the referendum on the UK's membership of the EU to not be within three months of the 5th of May.
The majority of MPs voted against requiring the date of the referendum on the UK's membership of the EU to not be within three months of the 5th of May.
MPs were considering the European Union Referendum Bill.
The amendment rejected in this vote was:
- Amendment proposed: 5, page 1, line 9, at end insert
- “or a date within three months before or after May 5.
The amendment was accompanied by an explanatory statement saying:
- This would ensure the referendum vote could not be held on a day three months before or after the date of the Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish elections.
Had it not been rejected the amendment would have affected Clause 1 of the Bill which stated
- (2) The Secretary of State must, by regulations, appoint the day on which the referendum is to be held.
- (3) The day appointed under subsection (2)—
- (a) must be no later than 31 December 2017, and
- (b) must not be 5 May 2016.
-  Parliament's webpage on the European Union Referendum Bill
-  Version of Clause 1 of the Bill to which the rejected amendment relates
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||310 (+2 tell)||0||0||94.5%|
|SNP||0||53 (+2 tell)||0||98.2%|
|Debbie Abrahams||Oldham East and Saddleworth||Lab (minister)||both|
|Ian Lucas||Wrexham||Lab (minister)||both|
|Lucy Powell||Manchester Central||Lab (minister)||both|
|Tom Watson||West Bromwich East||Lab||both|