Cities and Local Government Devolution Bill — Clause 2 — Devolution Conditional on Elected Mayor — 7 Dec 2015 at 21:00
Geoffrey Cox MP, Torridge and West Devon voted to prevent devolution of powers to groups of local councils being being conditional on the combined authority having an elected mayor.
The majority of MPs voted to allow devolution of powers to groups of local councils to be made conditional on the combined authority having an elected mayor.
The amendment rejected in this vote was:
- Amendment 58, page 2, line 10, at end insert—
- ‘( ) The transfer of local or public authority functions to combined authorities shall not be dependent on an order being made under subsection (1).”
An explanatory statement accompanying the amendment described its intent:
- This amendment makes clear that devolution deals must not be dependent on a combined authority having a mayor.
Had it not been rejected this amendment would have impacted clause 2 of the Bill, subsection (1) of which stated: "The Secretary of State may by order provide for there to be a mayor for the area of a combined authority."
-  Parliament's webpage on the Cities and Local Government Devolution Bill.
-  Clause 2 of the Cities and Local Government Devolution Bill as at the time of the vote
Votes by party, red entries are votes against the majority for that party.
What is Tell? '+1 tell' means that in addition one member of that party was a teller for that division lobby.
What are Boths? An MP can vote both aye and no in the same division. The boths page explains this.
What is Turnout? This is measured against the total membership of the party at the time of the vote.
|Party||Majority (No)||Minority (Aye)||Both||Turnout|
|Con||285 (+2 tell)||5||0||88.5%|
|Lab||0||183 (+2 tell)||0||79.7%|
|Graham Brady||Altrincham and Sale West||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Christopher Chope||Christchurch||Con (front bench)||aye|
|Geoffrey Cox||Torridge and West Devon||Con||aye|
|Julian Lewis||New Forest East||Con (front bench)||aye|
|David Nuttall||Bury North||Con (front bench)||aye|